on the balcony

Kind of laid back.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust


Posted by Hello

Out of respect for my parents secular beliefs and of my constant yearning for character-building ventures...I will again this year recognise and participate in the Lenten tradition of foregoing some chioce worldly vice that I in so often sinfully take part. Actually, I will be giving up a few choice vices, namefully these:

1) meat
...recently I have been trying my darndest* (I don't quite know my opinion of this term, but I'm usin' it anyways) to become a vegetarian, so naturally this one is essential. With regards for the ever-popular 'no meat on fridays' rule, I am not a cop-out...for me they will be
vegan fridays. I guess we will see how that works out.
2)
junk food
...
basically candy, fast food (which I don't normally eat, but still should be included), chips and crackers and pretty much any other crap that could be placed in the 'munchies' catagory. This one might get tough, but I guess thats the point of it...right? I chose this because I have done versions of it before and felt very triumphant with its accomplishment. Also, these foods are in their very nature horrid, as far as my principles are concerned, and I should do anything in my power to wean myself away from them anyways.
3) talking smack
...
this is the 'becoming a better person' sacrifice. I feel that I need to be more positive in my daily discourse and conversation, to people's faces and behind thier backs. I don't think that I am particularly bad (relative to some I know) about saying mean things about people directly to them or in their absence, I am speaking more about making fun of people. I am sick with sarcasm and I think taking it easier on people will force me to be more forthright about how I truely feel about things instead of using some (extrememly clever) quick witted comment in order to skate around revealing my true sentiments. I hope you knw what I mean.

S
o there you have it...my Lenten sacrifices. I will try to keep you updated on my fidelity to them. If you are reading this and you have a particularly interesting thing you have chosen to surrender for the season, do share! Thanks for stopping by and, as always, take care.

Catholic Guilt and Grenadine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home