on the balcony

Kind of laid back.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Why Does It Always Rain On Me?


. Posted by Hello

What would you say if I told you that Despair was immature?
If you are able to negate meaning from life, you could assume that there is no hope. Hope can be damaging in that it allows and even forces despair on those who hold it, along with the fact that it shouldn't be trusted. Putting faith in something or someone gives that thing, person or idea power over you. This is dangerous. This is naive.
Despair is a poison, a state we so often allow ourselves to fall into that imposes on us the idea that things could be better. Things are the way they are and that is how it should be (keep in mind though, that this does not necessarily imply that we deserve it). Despair is the consequence of ideals that we have recognized and gobbled up, placed in front of us on the table that is society, served on the plates manufactured by the media.
We find hope in the conquest of these ideals. We work jobs we hate to buy that house on the hill because we are told this will make things better. What we miss in all of this nonsense is that Happiness is entirely subjective, and that to achieve it (in my opinion) we don't need money or power, we just need to take full advantage in the opportunities that come our way. We need change to be happy, no matter how content you may be, soon enough boredom will creep up on you and it will wreak havok on your pristine little world. Denying yourself opportunities, mostly the opportunities of new experiences, will eventually lead to a collapse of your state of mind and you will, yet again, feel lost.
But one must be careful.
Once you begin to seek out opportunity too frivilously, you will begin to lose yourself. Let it ride. And don't let yourself get too caught up in chasing something you will never catch.
Sustaining hope for something that, in the back of your mind, you know you may never achieve can be like swallowing a slow acting poison.
In reference to my first statement, the immaturity in despair is seeded in the blindness and naievity of hope. And again, you must first accept that things are the way they are if you are to use an otherwise desparing situation to your own advantage. If you can accomplish this, hate and contempt will be worthless to you and worry will be incidental.
Many would argue that this approach will just lead to apathy, discontent and an eventual pretentious bitterness towards the world. This very well may be true if you begin to use this frame of mind as a cop-out, so to speak. It is wrong to simply not care at all. Pascal once stated that, "a man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." You must embrace this outlook on life and thought because it allows you the possibility and opportunity to trancend caring and not caring. This is why it is immature to despair, because that which you are despairing about is marginal and essentially does not need to matter to you to the extent that it can rape you of your happiness. Free yourself!
I am not saying all of this because I think it is easy, nor do I claim that this is a description of my own mindset. It is similar to the manner in which I have been thinking lately, and this outlook has given me much comfort when certain events in my life would have otherwise lead to despair. Paticularly, certain events that occured this past weekend which are a little to heavy as well as a bit too personal to go into as of yet. You can bet, though, that it will be a topic of much discussion on my part in the near future, once I give myself enough time to make sense of it all.
This was also not an attempt to hold this idea up as its own ideal, that would of course be somewhat of a contradiction to the idea itself. With all the "you should"'s and "you must"'s that I have thrown about it would probably be very hard for me to argue that describing an ideal wasn't my intention (I say this after reading what I have written), but I guess I could redeem myself a little by saying that the idea of this post was to, first off, get it out of my system, and second to offer these thoughts as advice. I'm really not that worried about being criticized though, seeing that my audience doesn't appear to be that large. Oh well.
Alright, I am done BS-ing for today...it is now time to finish up some school work. After all, how can I get rich and powerful without the vast knowledge, vocabulary and morals provided by an honest education? I'll have to call ol' Georgy-porgy and ask him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home