on the balcony

Kind of laid back.

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Sit back and watch the world go by


Kevin Posted by Hello
So, today was more like one of my typical summer days. A day chalk full of what I would expect if I woke up and it was last summer. ---pause for reflection and slow slow sigh--- Those were good days.
Today started off with my alarm not waking me up until about 20 min before I had to be at work teaching a class. By some miracle, I ended up getting out of the house in time to arrive at work on time. AND I had a lunch packed. It was crazy.
So, at work, I got through teaching in what seemed like no time. We actually ran out of stuff to teach and pool-related activities to do, so Sean - the other instructor - and I decided that it would be fun to venture out into the park for a game of, yeah you guessed it, KICKBALL.
If you actaully guessed dodgeball, you have wrongingly assumed that I am some sort of tool that, simply because some funny Ben Stiller movie entitled 'Dodgeball' is in theaters at the moment, would actually think it was "cool" to go play dodgeball. I'm not trying to knock the movie, it was hilarious, but the fact that dodgeball leagues are making the front page of the Oregonian. Thats just excessive.
We played kickball for about a half hour. It was really fun even though my team lost. I wasn't really sad about it though because I scored a one of our two runs, so at least I didn't look like a loser. Then a few of the girls from my class bought me Starbucks. Which was also pretty sweet.
After the class was over, my day continued on into a haze of sun, laughter and light work. Once 7 o'clock rolled around, my good friend Kristi stopped by the pool and invited me to another good friends birthday barbeque, which was going on in the park just then. By the way - Happy Birthday Roman. So I ate a few hot dogs and shared a few drinks in the park with some old high school friends.
After the barbeque, I headed out to catch the Team Friendship game that was going on. Team Friendship - if you don't already know - is a CHS/Central/*etc* based indoor soccer team thats competes in a league out in Clackamas. I know a few people on the team so I had made some promises earlier about attending the match. I show up to find the game well underway with Team Friendship up by three. They ended up with the victory with the final score of 9-6.
My one of my workmates and friends, Kevin, is on the team. We ended up talking for a little bit after the game and decided that we didn't want to go home just yet. We went in search of some food and found oursleves in the Wendy's parkinglot doing cookies and spilling our drink's all over the floor of Kevins minivan.
Once we had begun eating, Kevin made the mistake of offering up the wheel to me. Bwaha.
So we ended up halfway to Gresham, I believe it was, when Kevin suggested we go on a road trip to Hood River. I agreed, of course, and we started the journey back to the Indoor Soccer arena to pick up my car to e dropped off.
We had been on the road for about 20 minutes when some crazy drunk girl started blowing up Kevins cell phone claiming that se was at some party drinking and she needed Kevin to come "hang out". So, basically, this chick was booty calling Kevin for about a half an hour. He claims she is gross, though, so I didn't feel bad about holding my man back from the opportunity to, well, get some.
So, we were cruising along the highway running along the river into the Gorge when we looked up and noticed Crown Point. We took the exit onto the Historical ( aka crappy) Highway To head on up there. We drove for what seemed like an hour on this dark deserted stretch of road until we finally got up to the point.
It ended up being a nice night, clear enough to see the moon, which lit the part of the River that was not already illuminated by the glow of the city. We talked about soccer and airplanes while continually joking about sending Kevin's keys sailing down into the dense forest hundreds of feet below. We walked around and spoke shortly to a bunch of drunk kids also enjoying the scenery.
We eventually grew bored and headed back to the van. On the way home we passed at least 5 poor souls that had been pulled over for god knows what.
I ended up back home around twelve-thirty, ready to finish off the wonderful day on the chillest way I could imagine. So I went back out into the night and burnt one down whilst checking my voicemail to make it look like I was actually talking on the phone, something I commonly do outside once it gets past a certain time in order to not wake everyone up in the paper-thin building I call home.
I came back inside, changed into my pyjammas, popped in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...and now here you find me. At the end of a day that is one in which I hope has set the tone for the rest of the season. Tonight I will fall asleep with a smile knowing that today was not thrown to waste, like the waste that has been the past few weeks of my life. It's a good feeling. Goodnigh all. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home